Sunday, June 3, 2012

Tatting- these knots are beautiful

Tatting takes me 15 years back. First time I saw this in 'Anchor Needle n Thread', magazine. I tried a lot to learn tatting, reading instructions given in the book. But could not. In every attempt I left with knots :-).I felt disappointed. One day a lady came to my home told that she knew tatting. At that moment she looked like Maata Saraswati (Hindu Goddess of Knowledge) holding Tatting shuttle in one hand and tatting thread in other hand. :-). When I requested her, without hesitation she agreed to teach me tatting. To learn this craft you need threads, tatting shuttle and lots of patience :-)

Tatting is lace making craft, basically evolved in European countries. (About Tatting you can read here).Tatting transforms thread into beautiful lace and motifs, with the tool called 'Tatting Shuttle'.
Tatting Shuttle
Tatting shuttle and thread
I love this craft. Normally I make small motifs and laces, so that those can be used in combination with embroidery. There are masters in tatting who make big doilies using tatting. 

Some of the motifs I tried recently : Motifs with five petals and four petals
Tatting
                                          Some bigger motifs, made using multi color thread and joining two shuttles together.
Tatting
Motifs in two colors, made using two shuttles:


                                      

The motifs look very beautiful, if beads are used.

White motif with gold color beads.Similar way, tatted jewellery can be made.
Tatting threads are very durable, normally Anchor Mercer cotton is used for tatting. The below are the motifs I made when I learnt tatting, that's 15 years ago:
There are 25 motifs, I'm planning to use these for a dress in combination with Fabric painting.
I have used  Lace and tatted motifs in combination with hand embroidery on a dress. I will share about that in next post.

-Till next post
Love , laugh and live the life to the fullest,
-Ranjana


No comments:

Post a Comment